Roasted Tomato Pie
by Gabrielle Rossi
Roasted Tomatoe Pie - Submitted by Jenevieve Price, BVM&S
Follow their farm: https://www.instagram.com/littleblackcatfarm/?hl=en
- 4-5lb ripe tomatoes, any kind
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 pie crusts, homemade or frozen
- 1 egg
- 3 cups finely shredded gouda or gruyere or sharp white cheddar
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2/3 cup good quality mayonnaise
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan
- 1 tsp dried (or 1 Tbsp fresh) oregano
- more pepper
1. Preheat oven or grill to 350. Slice tomatoes 1/2” thick (or slice in half if cherries) and put on a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet. Brush with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast 1-2 hours until slightly dehydrated but not totally dry.
2. Brush your pie crusts with beaten egg and prick all over with a fork. Parbake for 15 minutes, or just until SLIGHTLY brown. Sprinkle each crust with 1/3 cup of the shredded Gouda while warm.
3. Increase oven heat to 400.
4. Place 1/4 of the tomatoes in each crust. Sprinkle with 1/2 the basil and 1/2 the remaining Gouda. Repeat with the remaining tomatoes and the remaining Basil.
5. Mix the Parmesan, Mayo, oregano, and salt/pepper to taste in a bowl. Dollop onto the pies and spread sort of evenly.
6. Sprinkle pies with the remaining Gouda.
7. Bake at 400 until brown and crispy on top. Serve warm or cold. Yum!